Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Wiz Live! Review

Everyone has been talking about The Wiz Live! for months, and they are going to continue talking about it after last night.
The person who had the most to prove was Miss Dorothy herself Shanice WIlliams. In my opinion, Williams definitely gave a great performance. My favorite scene of hers was in the end, and she belted out those notes and shed a tear. It just melted my heart. I love the modern twist to her character. The school girl rocker look was on point despite what other people thought.

Amber Riley showed off those pipes, and her amazing acting skills as The Good Witch of the North. That performance of "He's the Wiz" was stellar. She showed us again why we love her. Those high notes were everything.

The person who took me by shock was David Alan Grier. He definitely transformed himself into the lion. I can truly say he was completely the character. Just Amazing!


Ne-yo's and Elijah Kelly's performances were also amazing as well. They truly  gave us a new interpretation of the Robot and the Scarecrow. Loved Ne-yo's dancing as robot, and Kelly's singing was on point.
Queen Latifah as the Wiz was kind of interesting to see. A woman as the Wiz was a amazing casting choice because the Queen rocked it as always. 

Uzo Aduba only had one scene in this musical, but she stole the show with her breath-taking performance. Her character as Glinda was perfect for her. We love her as Crazy Eyes, but I think she can act in anything.
Mary J Blige definitely turned up the heat as The Wicked Witch of the West. TBH I thought she kind of over down it on the whole evil part. I loved her song though. You know she was going to kill it like always.

I cannot just state the actors who were in this amazing production, but HUGE props to Kenny Leon and Matthew Diamond. This production would not have been amazing without their leadership. I also have to give it to all the dancers/background vocals. They truly made the production feel more alive. Also to the crew behind the camera. 

What a truly amazing performance that will be in history books. I rate this musical 4.5-stars. I cannot wait for the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment